Ever heard of a rooster pen pal for kids? No? Well now you have! I use the excitement of receiving mail to encourage literacy, creativity, and friendship with students in pre-K, kindergarten, and first grade. Here's how it works:
1) I send two postcards each month to my classrooms - on the 1st and on the 16th of the month.
2) My card is addressed to the classroom and tells my pals a story about my life on the farm.
3) Then, I prompt my pals for a reply, and each student in the class gets to send a reply. It's easy to reply because I provide all of the materials students will need - the postcards, envelopes, and postage.
The Pen Pal Unit is designed to help teachers reach important milestones for students in pre-K, kindergarten, and first grade:
1) Students will confirm understanding of stories by asking and answering questions about key details and requesting clarification.
2) Students will be encouraged to use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose replies in which they name what they are writing about, supply information about the topic, and provide closure.
3) For replies, I frequently ask students to describe familiar people, places, things, and events with relevant details, expressing ideas and feelings clearly.
My Pen Pal Unit comes in two durations - four months or eight months.
I'll look forward to writing with your students!
Shipping Address: At checkout, please make sure that your classroom's address is entered as the shipping address.
Quantity: The quantity chosen at checkout should be the number of students in the classroom.