Ben's Letter Club is a fun and interactive pen pal unit encouraging literacy, creativity, and friendship among elementary school students.
During the school year, Ben writes postcards to his pen pals throughout the country. He tells a story about a recent adventure and prompts his friends to reply. Ben makes it easy to reply because he provides postcards, envelopes, and postage with each of his mailings. Students engage in conversation by drawing a picture on their postcard and writing a note on the back.
Teachers incorporate Ben into the language arts curriculum in order to practice reading comprehension, penmanship, and conversation. And guess what ... it's 100% free!
The 2017-2018 school year was awesome, and now it's time to sign up for the 2018-2019 school year. Here's the schedule of Ben's mailings:
1. Celebrate Thinking of You Week - Arriving the week of September 24, 2018
Ben's first mailing helps students celebrate Thinking of You Week, which starts nationally on September 24th. The purpose of the week is to spread love through a handwritten card, and Ben asks his pals to write a friendly letter to their parents. This is one of two instances when a student's card goes to someone other than Ben. But of course, Ben still provides the materials to participate!
2. Create a Holiday Card - Arriving the week of November 5, 2018
Ben loves creating his annual holiday card, and in this mailing, his pen pals can create their very own holiday card. Students will design a holiday card and send it to Ben. When he receives the design, Ben will create a webpage for each classroom where parents can order holiday cards with their child's art. As with everything in Ben's Paper Shop, 50% of profits will be donated back to schools. That's how Ben keeps the Letter Club free!
3. A New Year's Resolution - Arriving the week of January 7, 2019
Ben loves setting goals, and he's excited to tell his pals about his 2019 New Year's resolution. In return, he wants to know what his pals hope to achieve in 2019.
4. Happy Valentine's Day - Arriving the week of February 4, 2019
Ben wants to be the first to wish your students a happy Valentine's Day. Then, your students will reciprocate the sentiment with their very own card.
5. Ben Explores Space - Arriving the week of March 4, 2019
In this card, Ben uses his imagination to explore Mars. He shares some fun facts about the Red Planet, and then he asks his pen pals to teach him what they know about space.
6. Ben Works with a Partner - Arriving the week of April 1, 2019
Ben undertakes a project with a new friend. He enjoys working productively with a partner, and he wants to hear about a recent experience that each of his pen pals have had with a partner.
7. Say Thank You - Arriving the week of May 6, 2019
It's the last card of the school year, and it's another opportunity for Ben's pen pals to create a card for someone else. Ben thanks his pen pals for a fun year and asks his friends to write their own thank you card to someone who they appreciate.
How to Sign Up:
1. First thing's first - Ben needs to know how many students you have in your classroom. Under "Quantity," insert that number.
2. Next, click "Add to Cart." You'll automatically proceed to checkout. Each student's membership is free, so although you'll go through the checkout process, you WILL NOT be asked for payment before submitting the order.
3. Please include your school's address as the shipping address, and we'll send each mailing to your classroom. Or if you think Ben's mail will arrive more safely to a different address, feel free to use that one!